Wednesday 20 June 2012

The first post, obviously



My passion for photography stemmed from a very simple wish: I wanted to photograph my girlfriend (and maybe some other girls) naked.  I loved looking at professional and amateur photos and I was fascinated by the female form. But shooting with my first digital camera, a Canon A70, I was quite disappointed. The photos I took of my girlfriend weren’t anything close to what I’d seen at all those websites. I mean artistic nude websites, of course. It wasn’t that she wasn’t pretty or that her body wasn’t perfect. No, it was exclusively my fault. The photos turned out almost like those you see on Failblog from time to time.

So I bought a better camera, gained access to a studio and tried some more. By then I was single, so I found a great girl online who was willing to pose. I had a nice camera, a studio full of lights, a gorgeous model and was more experienced, but my photos still sucked. The photo I picked out of the session as my ‘best shot’ was incredibly dark and mundane, but I thought it was artistic. Now I know – it wasn’t.





As years passed, I practised more and more, and my photos got technically better. However, I was never able to shoot a true masterpiece except by accident. Now, being a professional photographer, I am still fascinated by nude photography, as it is something I am unable to produce effectively.

Browsing through Flickr photos, looking for inspiration, I had my light bulb moment! Some nude photos are good, despite being taken with a point and shoot and using  an amateur model. That being said, some photos which are taken in a studio, with a model who looks like a Playmate still don’t look good.

I have decided to start to analyze photos by breaking them down into pieces. I found there is a system of making a good nude photo, on the spot, with any model, and any camera. It is going to be quite complicated, and though some people are born with it (it is called innate talent),  I’m sure it can be learned. So I’m going to teach myself and I welcome you to join me.


No comments:

Post a Comment